Monday, September 1, 2008

RamaSalama time!

Ramadan started today, it’s funny but no one knew exactly when it would start because it depends on the moon so we didn’t find out for sure until last night. I have to admit, I’ve been dreading this month since we got here so I’m already anxious for it to be over with. Basically, it means that it is illegal to put anything into your mouth in public during the fasting hours. Water, gum etc. I had to be careful today while driving- I blew my little bubbles when no one was looking! It also means that the grocery stores are CRAZY because every night they break the fast with a huge iftar meal. The roads are nuts too, I’m going to avoid driving as much as possible because I think the taxi drivers are scary enough without adding hunger pains to it! Most of the restaurants are closed during fasting hours as well so given that I don’t plan on going grocery shopping, we may be in for our own kind of fast. Most people only work a few hours a day this month so it’s not the time to get anything done. I know it’s too early to be bitter but as I said, I’m ready for October to get here!

The upside is we’ll be traveling in Israel for a week and half. Not that I’m excited to travel again already but it will be nice not to worry about taking a sip of water in public. We’ll be in Tel Aviv, Haifa, Herzliya, Jerusalem and Masada so it should be interesting. Four of the days, J will be attending a conference so K and I will have to keep ourselves busy somehow. J and I have been enjoying Friedman’s classic, From Beirut to Jerusalem, so now we are a little more versed on Judaism : ) Amazing read! The only thing I worry about in Jerusalem are the crazy people driving bulldozers! I’m sure going to be watching the roads carefully when we’re moving thru town, can you really blame me?

We returned from Aquaba last night. It was the loveliest of get-aways. A nice way to celebrate the Labor Day holiday. Aquaba is Jordan’s tiny piece of Hawaii, maybe fifteen miles of coast sandwiched between Israel and Saudi Arabia and across the Sea from Egypt. I’ll post some photos next. We didn’t do much other than relax and work on our tans. We brought Jane along with us to ensure total relaxation and it was wonderful, we figure that will be the last truly “relaxing” family vacation we’ll probably have for years. While she played with K at the kid’s center, J and I read and snorkeled. I haven’t been snorkeling in a couple of years but I sure wasn’t as impressed with the Red Sea as I had hoped. But, on the plus side, I never saw a jelly so that made up for a lot.

I’m glad that we went away, my Grandpa’s funeral was on Friday and it was terribly hard not to be there with everyone. It’s always hard when you’re the only one who can’t attend. It helped so much to talk to family a lot and hear about the special things my cousins and siblings did to remember Grandpa. I was there in spirit for sure. From what I saw and heard, they made it a truly memorable funeral. As soon as I can find myself a slice of French Silk Pie, I’ll eat it in honor of Grandpa. That was his favorite and mine too.

I took K to her first Dentist appointment today. Wow, that woman has a tough job! How she managed to get K to sit thru a teeth cleaning when I can barely brush her teeth is beyond me. She is a superhero in my book! Found out they have a real problem with tooth decay here because they don’t have access to fluoride. I could really sense her frustration because it’s such an easy fix. Or, you would think, I’m sure I’d have an easier time getting an Rx for meth than I did trying to get my hands on fluoride drops!

Other than that, the past couple weeks have been busier than I like. The Embassy social scene has picked up and it seems like every day there is a function of some sort to attend. All of the new families have arrived and it’s been a treat getting to meet the new people. It was too quiet around here over the summer after everyone left. Call me biased but you can always spot the military wives without much trouble. They are the newbie’s making conversation with everyone, relating so well to whatever random place they happen to be in. Makes me feel especially proud to be among such a stellar group of people. Whether these women have moved here from Alabama or England, they act as if they’ve done it a hundred times. I suppose maybe they have!

Well, I’m off to search thru my pantry for something for dinner. Should have done more shopping last week, darn. Talk to you all in a couple of weeks! Have a great Labor Day everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there girl friend! I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. That really stinks. So cool though that you have such great memories with him. Wish I had been able to have that :-) On a lighter note, a little bird told me the great news! Congrats!! Know I'm thinking of you even though I have been horrible at connecting with you. Stay safe, I love hearing about your families' adventures!! Are you sure J doesn't want to come to UW Madison or River Falls ? J/K!!
:-) Beth