Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scenic view from our (ghost) hotel in Hama


I thought this was one of the more picturesque views we've had, unfortunately the town was nothing like the picture. It was the eeriest place I've been, J said it was like an episode out of the Twilight Zone. We were followed everywhere we went, mostly from harmless kids who just annoyed us and when it was time for dinner we couldn't find a restaurant anywhere!!! We drove all over and ended up having to skip dinner because everything was closed. To the town's credit, they did have a massacre there 25 years ago where up to 25,000 people were killed by the govt. as punishment for their uprising.
Although the Lonely Planet usually gets it right, they were wrong on this one, it was not a good place to spend the night. They were right in calling our hotel a "mausoleum" however (it was the only near decent place to stay in the town). The hotel was huge but we felt like the only people staying there so it kind of freaked us out! It was absolutely deserted (I told the front desk that I hoped they had at least given us the best room!) Later that night we ran into three American guys who were also staying there- and they thought they were the only guests. That did help me sleep a little better though.

No comments: