Friday, June 6, 2008

Road trip: Syria

Tonight we are packing to leave for Syria and preparing for a 12-day road trip around the country (actually, J is packing and I am procrastinating). I am really looking forward to it but also trying not to get too excited just in case we have some drama trying to cross the borders. I have heard all sorts of stories about this and given our luck, I am half expecting it! We do have the visas but just because you have a visa doesn’t necessarily mean you can get in. We’ll try to keep you posted once we actually cross the border if we have Inet access. The shopping in Syria is supposed to be amazing so we’re leaving a lot of room in our car for souvenirs (as usual, that’s what I look forward to the most!). Also, two of the oldest cities on earth are there, Damascus and Aleppo so that should be interesting from a history standpoint. And yes, Syria is one of the five countries on that famous Gov’t “List” we are always hearing about! Overall, I want to have an open mind and learn as much as I can about this fascinating country- I don’t know a whole lot about it yet but I’m sure we’ll come away with a new perspective on the region. I hear the people are exceptionally kind. There is a lot happening there now with a possible peace deal with Israel being attempted and nuclear inspectors paying a visit.
We had a good, busy week doing lots of fun stuff with other toddlers. I’m sure the socialization is good for K since she spends a lot of time alone with me in the house. She has really changed since turning 19mos, I always said she was an easy kid but now she keeps me on my toes. I am beginning to understand what all of you have been warning me about for so long, the “get into EVERYTHING” phase. It just makes me so tired. Not to mention she went from needing 15 hrs of sleep to 13 in a matter of a week, I just wasn’t quite prepared for that : ) Gone are my days of sleeping in until 8 or 9! J was away for a few nights and I kept thinking about all of my military friends who spend 15 mos. alone with their children as single moms. It must be SO hard. I send all of you a big hug and wish I could treat you to a pedicure or something – although you deserve much, much more. I’m sure I’ll be writing soon about how she took the fish out of the bowl and ate it, LOL.

Then we had some minor drama- as I was taking her out this week and putting her in our HOT car (it felt at least 100 degrees outside) I threw the car keys on my seat like usual, shut her door and walked around to get in the driver’s seat when I heard the car lock. I couldn’t believe it! We have a new security system in and apparently, it automatically locks the doors after a minute or so. Thank God, I had my cell still in my pocket but I panicked and grabbed a tool from our garden so I could break the window and get her out. Too many stories engrained in my mind of kids dying in hot cars. Thankfully, I got a hold of our wonderful mechanic first, who was at our house in 8 min. with three guys who were able to get her out within another 5 min. She was so good the entire time- hot I could tell but never cried. When we pulled her out, she was covered in sweat. I think I would have broken the window if it took a minute longer. The mechanic was so nice, he didn’t even charge us. Boy did I learn my lesson with our new alarm.
Talked to my friend in Cali the other day, gas is $4.15/gallon there at the cheapest place.
We decided to do the math and see what we were paying here (they sell it in liters) and we are paying #3.68/gallon, not much less. It would be hard to get rid of the SUV now but downsizing sure is tempting isn’t it?
On a less depressing note, I am really proud of J this week because he graduated 3rd in his class (a percentage pt. away from 1st)! I don’t know how he managed given that the class was entirely in Arabic. He spent the first week thinking he was going to flunk out and then he rocked it. Way to go J! He also made some nice friends who keep texting him saying, “I miss u”. The guys here are SO funny; these messages crack me up because most guys in the States wouldn’t send such messages to other men. Not surprising given that public affection between men and women is rare (I’ve never even seen two people holding hands!) public displays of affection among men is very common and exaggerated. Well, that’s all for now! Wish you all a great couple of weeks, off to pack....

1 comment:

Kelly Schwark said...

You must have been a wreck with K in the car! If I were you, I'd think about deleting this entry before she can read so she doesn't use it against you when she's a teen!

Hmm... maybe I should go to Cali for gas... in town we're at $4.35. I think Connecticut tops the list of most expensive gas, but I have NO IDEA why.

Congrats to J!!! That is so exciting!

Prayers for safe travels and lots of wonderful deals awaiting you! Hugs to you all, and please pass one along to our buddy Redd wherever he is!